Friday, January 25, 2008

....has been pretty gret, aktually

O hai readerz...

We all knew this day would come eventually, but even still, it's bittersweet to write this post today. After a lot of thinking and talking and intense brainstorming over enchiladas and hemming and hawing... we've decided to draw this chapter of lolsecretz.com's life to a close. Part of us would love to continue making and receiving secretz forEVAR, to see what new hilarity we can fashion out of inscrutable kittycat memes, and to see how you, our wonderful readerz, can exceed the boundaries of our own imaginations and make us laugh over and over again.

But mostly we want to preserve the spirit out of which lolsecretz was originally born - one of doubled-over laughter and playful manipulation of themes generated on these crazy Intrenetz; a feeling that we were creating something fresh, unique, and extraordinarily (and inexplicably) funny; a witty jab at things that we love but feel deserved to be parodied. Fact is, we've become just as repetitive as PostSecret at this point, and that means it's time to go. We honestly never, ever expected lolsecretz to become the hit that it did; at the peak of the site's popularity, it was seeing thousands upon thousands of hits per day; we got attention from numerous media websites that we read (!); and there's even been talk of a book deal...

So we had our 15 minz, and now we feel it's time to move on. One of us is taking classes, working part-time, and studying for the MCAT; and the other has a regular bill-paying job and is a dad on top of that. We don't feel that we can continue to keep the site at the level of smartz and laffz that we'd like with the amount of effort we can realistically put in on a daily basis.

If you're interested in keeping up with us, you can do so in a few ways. First, we'll be attending ROFLCon at Harvard University in Cambridge, MA, on April 25-27, 2008. We'll be speakers on the "Lolpanel" along with the creators of I Can Has Cheezburger, LolTrek, LolBible, and other LOLers... for more information, including how to attend, please visit http://www.roflcon.org.

Also, we both continue to maintain our own blogs: Stupid is the New Awesome and Superhero Sewing Circle. While there may not be as many pictures of cats with misspelled words on them, there are often words and videos to make you laugh, cry, throw things, etc. We also have other potential collaborative projectz in the works, and if any of those come to fruition, we will let you know!!

Finally, we'll leave this site up for as long as we can so you can browse the archives and relive your favorite secretz ovar n ovar.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING AND SUBMITTING!!!! We literally would not be here today were it not for you.

LUV N LULZ
Secretburger (a.k.a. Arija and Ryan)

63 comments:

Phelony Jones said...

Thank you for teh laffs!

JordanBaker said...

I has a sad.

thisisme said...

I can haz lolsecretz? Plz? kthxbai

thanks for the laughs - you've made a lot of days.

Liz @ The Shrinking Owl said...

:( :( :(

Can someone start another one??? I loved these. :(

dvdm said...

thx for teh lulz...
kthxbai

Heather said...

oh noes!

lamocomp said...

bb guys
you made me laugh and sometimes cry a lot of times

this project was great

i doubt, that you knew that you have readerz from Russia, but thx anyway, and GL!

TraceyUK said...

Oh noes!!!

I only just found this site... :(

I are sad cat...
---------
Seriously, fair enough. I have a bunch of archive to go through.

Thanks for the lulz :)

AMcF said...

DO NOT NOT WANT!
Fair 'nuff - thanks for giving us few laughs and awwws.
Cheers

beachgirl33140 said...

LOVE YOU GUYZ!!
THANKS FOR EVERY CLEVER LITTLE LOLCAT POSTED AND BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR ENDEAVORS!

BAI

Ben said...

nice work, nice close, and warmest wishes for the future

ballgame said...

One of us is taking classes, working part-time, and studying for the MCAT; and the other has a regular bill-paying job and is a dad on top of that.

See? That's what's so puzzling. I mean, I could understand if you were doing something else more important...

;)

jess said...

sadddd :[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

thanks for everything!!!

Unknown said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oh god, how will i evar survivez?!

-xanga.com/porcupinesol

Unknown said...

So lng, n thx 4 al teh fishes!

Jett said...

Thankz 4 teh LOLZ1
Kthxbai!

Bret said...

i'm literally sitting here in shock and on the verge of tears.

Barb said...

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

shannon said...

T_T
ma lyfe.
iz over!!!!
i'll miss you guyz!

Leonie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leonie said...

I'm really sad. Thanks for the many belly laughs. Leonie from Melbourne Australia.

bobbie said...

i iz troolee gonna miss u! :(
And how do i find lolbible?

LolCait said...

You'll be missed! Wrote a little something:

http://gawker.com/349209/teh-era--is-ended

Bear and Rabbit said...

Mah tearz, let me show u dem-

On the serious side, thank you so much! What a great idea, and it gave me some good laughs. Best of luck to both of you!

Jaime said...

This idea was one of the happiest-making things I've ever found. Thanks for the awesome, you cute people.

Anonymous said...

So umm... this sucks.

BlogDog said...

Ya done good.
Leaving on top is the right way to go.

Unknown said...

=(

Will miss you big.
Thanks for your work.

snowroses said...

oh noes...i no want! no wannnnnnttttt!!!!!!

snowroses said...

aw...thx for teh laffs...sorries 2 c u goes...i also has lolcats on mai blog i made maiself but iz no teh same

snowroses said...

liz: u can looks at my lolcats if u likes

SeƱor Squash said...

oh noes!!!!11!!!11

manee laffs here. will mis u.

Erin Bradley said...

DO NOT WANT!

Josh said...

The day after I find a link to this blog in some1's FB profile you stop writing :( And I just started liking it NO!!!!!!! lol cats

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!! I feel like I'm being forced to go cold turkey from crack !!! you are the antidote to the saccherine sweetness of cat macros !!! can't you please just post, say, one new one a week ? PLEASSSEEEEE ???

Anonymous said...

PS: http://bp2.blogger.com/_48pIyTbrm4A/RvrmrOte9AI/AAAAAAAAANc/kBSeg3pJayk/s1600-h/lolsecret+letgo.jpg = most brilliant cat macro EVAH !!!

NathanRyder said...

Good luck to both of you in everything that you do!!!

:)

terry said...

aw, damn. i understand your decision, but i'll miss you! thanks for so many laughs.

Pallav said...

well, this was definitely fun while it lasted :) good luck to you both! :) keep rocking

N

Unknown said...

I am so sad...

I am carrying on the torch by posting LOLSecret-inspired macros in livejournal:

http://community.livejournal.com/lolcat_secretz/

Wry Beauty said...

You all created an amazing site and we all love you for the laughs you've provided around our office.

* said...

plz to have read lolsecretz. thnx 4 teh lulz and 4 usin mai secretz. ttyl.

Peace Turkey said...

I is emo cat over dis news.

Anonymous said...

Do You Wonder?

casa highland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bandit said...

it's a magical world, hobbes ol' buddy... let's go exploring!

Bruno Pommer said...

aw naaaaw! plz dont!
i cant has menee lefs naw.

Unknown said...

*tear* I am very sad to see you guys go, but I certainly understand the demands of a busy schedule. Good luck with that MCAT, and that parenting! :)

However, I must take issue with your assertion that both you and Post Secret have become "repetitive." These days, it seems anything with some sort of theme is labeled as such after only a few months. Is our attention span that short?

I love lolsecretz for it's clever humor; I'm one of those people that really believes laughter is the best medicine, it keeps up sane. But yes, sadly, when it comes to humor, sometimes fresh is best; things get old quickly in the comedy biz (who else is sick to death of Ben Stiller or Carlos Mencia, raise your hands).

But I don't think Post Secret is quite the same. I don't think that such a rich collection of people's deepest secrets could ever be labeled repetitive. Yes, some are petty secrets, some are silly, some are quite banal. But every week there's at least one (usually two or three) that make my heart hurt. That make me think, make me angry, make me uncomfortable. And I love how it shows the every-day artistic abilities of real, average people. Most importantly, I love how it has shown so many people that no matter what your dark, twisted secret is, there's someone out there who can say, "Oh yeah, me too. And I'm still here."

Post Secret has helped a lot of people in a serious way. I don't see that ever becoming repetitive.


Similarly, I dun think dat teh lolsecretz iz no longer "fresh." Beecuz yoo haftu be able to laff at yur secretz, too. :)


Kthnx-iluvyoo-bai!

Grace said...

:(

thx bunch! yew will be missings to me

christine (threedogknits) said...

Thx for the awesome. I will miss checking lolsecretz every morning. kthxbai! :-(

Zack Newcott said...

I'm so depressed. This is terrible. Terrible. I don't know what I'll do now... wait, maybe Post Secret will want to hear about this...

mbick said...

Wishing you both All the Best.
Thanks for such an entertaining site.
Kthxbai.

Lola said...

Much luffs and hugz... you guyz are awesome for bringing this kind of thing about. All the best in your respective futures :).

kthxbai4nao.

Laurenne Smith said...

u guyz r QTs

Ghost said...

I just found this blog through blogs of note, and it's already over!

NOOOOOOEEEEZZZZ!

Ames said...

Thank you seekritburger(s); your site was awsum, and is greatly missed!

Ames said...

btw my friend and I started pollcats.blogspot.com in your honor. it may never be as funny, but we had to do something to fill the funneh void

Rusty J said...

hey!

i've been checking out your blog for a while now and i must say. it has a real down home - down to earth feel. i really like that!

you've inspired me to start my own blog. let me know what you think about it please! i'm must a newbie!

your fan,
Rusty J

Orri said...

I agree.
a superb concept.
but not a concept that lasts forever.


You are a very good looking couple (at least on that photo).

I wish you best lucks in your future.

Anonymous said...

How cud yoo do this to uz :|?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

nikolas said...

Hallo! I have a blog too.

Anonymous said...

Amazing post. Thanks for sharing . I would like to share information about Appconsultio . We are an esteemed App development company in Pune. Our expertise lies in creating exceptional mobile applications that resonate with users. With a talented team of developers and designers, we craft functional and visually appealing apps for both iOS and Android platforms.